Saturday 16th October - Farnham Town 1-0 Hayes Gate

Another Saturday, Another big game for us who needed three points in order to continue our recent good form. It was a 1.30pm meet which most of the boys met apart from Jack Dillion who was seen at 1.22pm pulling people from a car accident he had witnessed. Jack you’re my hero!!! The fine tin continued to burn deep into the pockets of certain individual’s wallets and as always corbs went about his job with minimal fuss. Even Luke Whiddett brought the right money this week after the fuss he kicked up last week before the Worcester Park game. However, it was obvious to see that he was in a good mood this week which transmitted to the rest of the boys.

Before the game the gaffer wanted a quick word with the team about certain things that happened during the week and I knew what it was going to be about. I made a huge error by sending a text to my girlfriend telling how much I loved her. But I only went and sent into the gaffer. An absolute shambles! Just shows that I am always thinking about the gaffer and Farnham Town Football Club.
It was a very special day for one individual Dougey aged 9 who wanted to spend the day with the team. We introduced ourselves to him and then took him out for the warm up. It was very noticeable that the young boy took a liking to our own Gareth Gates (Webby) as he looked after Dougey from start to finish. The boys in the meanwhile were warming up and preparing themselves for a tough encounter against a team who liked to play football. Netball once again was the main focus at the start of the warm-up and Jonny Horner seems to have a habit of scoring own goals in the game. Maybe he doesn’t know the rules! Corbs throughout the warm-up was on absolute fire scoring goals for fun during and with young Dougey watching from afar it was noticeable he was keen to impress infront of the mascot and his proud mum. The boys went in from the warm-up ready and focused on the job inhand. The gaffer took the team-talk and asked us to press the ball when we didn’t have it and keep possession when we did. Easier said than done on that pitch gaffer!
The game started and within a couple of minutes you could tell that after losing against Hayes Gate in the cup that this wasn’t going to happen today. We changed to a 3-5-2 and stopped them playing especially in midfield where they were most dangerous when we played them last. Chances were bring created and you could tell that at the back they were shaky and gave the ball away on numerous occasions. We created a hatful of chances with myself going close on a couple of occasions. Corbs and Horner had chances too and to be honest we should have been leading at half-time. Brocky made some excellent saves during the first-half and has made that No 1 spot his for the foreseeable future. At the break it was 0-0 and we went into the half time-break wondering how!

As we went into the changing rooms at half-time there was a sense of disappointment in the camp that we hadn’t put one of those chances away. The gaffer explained that he wanted us to keep the ball a lot better and have more composure infront of goal.
We went out for the second half and kept plugging away, pressing the ball high up the pitch and still we were creating chances but failed to put them away. Jack arrived just before kick-off after his heroics and came on at half-time to provide some pace down the flank. (Sorry Wes - we won’t mention your chance in the first half!!! Oh no wait we will. After bursting out his blocks from right full wing back, sat on the half way line, Kezman got on the end of a superb cross from the left and could only stumble over the ball six yards out and knock it into the path of Horner who also scuffed his shot) Corbs and Horner couldn't seem to find there shooting boots today. Again and again chances were being missed and as Hayes Gate started creating a few half chances I did wonder whether all of our hard work was going to be undone especially when Luke Whidditt cleared the ball off the line from a corner. However, with 10 mins to go a free-kick came in from the right and I got up to win the header to put it back across goal and there was Jack Dillion (THE HERO OF THE DAY ON AND OFF THE FOOTBALL PITCH) to plant the ball pass the hapless keeper. Only 10 mins to go and we reverted back to our 4-4-2 formation still applying pressure when they had the ball and they didn’t really crate any clear opportunities in the closing stages. The whistle was finally blown and I blew a big sigh a relief as we fully deserved the three points.
Results have gone our way this weekend with Worcester Park losing, South Park, Warlingham and Bedfont Sports all drawing. With games inhand the season is looking very promising but we have got to make sure we keep this good form up with another three points at Cobham next weekend. This will be another tough game especially as they beat Worcester Park but we have so much ability in the squad,we should not fear anyone in this league.
Until Saturday.....

Bananaman, over and out

PS: I still cannot wait for Magaluf.


[Last Issue: Bunners Bites Back]